professortales

The harrowing tales of a grad student cum adjunct. My musings, rants and diatribes against the Ivory Tower, state funded education and people, who may include students, who irritate me.

Saturday, April 14, 2007

Perspective Change. So I guess distance and an amazing pep talk by the resident poet can do wonders for a person’s spirit. And a trip out of town for some sight seeing and hotel sex (oops was that too much?). Plus I got a lead on another job, a better job and it will be ironic justice if I land the same kind of job that I was up for here. But right now I am both in job limbo and end of the semester hell. We still have about four weeks left, but students are starting to get antsy, especially if they are on the border of failure. My favorite one right now is a student who has managed to miss more classes then she has been at. And yet her assignments still find their way into my box. What’s hysterical is that they are often there by the time I return from the class she was supposed to be in. So during our class she can stop by and drop stuff off, but can not actually come to class. Of course she will fail; she has far bypassed the absences allowed in my syllabus and her papers are all F’s because she has not been to class to learn how to write them. And yet I know that she will be one of the ones who will make the end of the semester hard. She will come and yell, will and try to complain to my boss, which will be interesting since the chair is much more of a hard ass then I am. And the bright side of my week is having to pay the government a butt-load of money because they didn’t take enough out during the year. Bastards. But the strange thing here is that I had to call the IRS, they were prompt, polite and helpful; maybe they have changed. Who knows, but I was given a reprieve today to just work, which in and of itself seems funny to me.

I was complaining to my hubby that we had to clean the house (because it’s a pigsty) this weekend, but I also had work to do and I desperately needed some dissertation time. His solution, he would clean the house and I could work. It seemed like a good idea, and I am grateful, but then I got pissy. Why the hell am I grateful that he will clean the house he lives in? We usually do it together, but I have often done it alone, so why the hell can’t he? Well, all I can say is even the feminist is sometimes blind sided by her own allegiance to gender ideology.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home