professortales

The harrowing tales of a grad student cum adjunct. My musings, rants and diatribes against the Ivory Tower, state funded education and people, who may include students, who irritate me.

Saturday, August 12, 2006

I recently moved, about ten minutes away, but I had to pack up all my shit and stuff, so it was a move. And as I am unpacking boxes and boxes of books, and running to the store to get another bookcase because I have run out of room I am left to ponder how exactly, at 30, I will live another 30 years without my books needing a house of their own. And the worse part about this is that I have also taken boxes and boxes to my office (now that I am gainfully employed and have my very own office) and I still have more books than I know what to do with. I could purge, but at this stage what I have is what I love and need, I do not have superfluous books lying around the house. I guess I will have to continually reclaim space wherever I can find it and hope that a tower of books does not, at some point in my life, fall over and kill me.

On a lighter note there is nothing I am dreading more than the two days of meetings that I will have to start on Monday. Someone please tell me why in the word we need all of the following: two general faculty meetings, departments meetings and college meetings and new faculty orientation? It would seem to me that about two are necessary, but no I have all of them. I am actually planning on taking some work with me and listening with one ear, at least for five minutes to decide if I need to listen at all. I heard that the new faculty meeting is literally about what to put in your syllabus and how to keep a gradebook. Pardon the French, but are you fucking kidding me here? If one does not know how to do these things, should you have this type of job? Yikes!

But I will write more about these on Monday and Tuesday when I am cranky and irritated by the bad coffee and pastries and the fact that I have not been let into my office as of yet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home