professortales

The harrowing tales of a grad student cum adjunct. My musings, rants and diatribes against the Ivory Tower, state funded education and people, who may include students, who irritate me.

Monday, February 27, 2006

This is my new blog, a place to give me an outlet for all things academic be they as teacher or scholar. I have chosen to write this anoymously mostly because I do not want my mother sending me links to yet another professor who has been fired because they blog. Some may say that this is a cop-out, and they may be right, but frankly they don't have my mother so they can not definitively make that decision. I recently moved and found that the informal built in support system of my grad school days has disappear. Gone are the nights of one, or more often multiple, cocktails and rants about students, departments and professors. And that absence has left in its place repression that causes too many headaches and not enough laughs. So in lieu of my pub and peeps I have decided to expend this need to express outside into the cyber world, and hopefully find a virtual place where I can release some of this pent up anger and frustration. I am ok with suppling my own cocktails.

I will rant about the university, the ineffective cousel of the state and sometimes students. I will not describe them, I will avoid descriptions of the University that I currently work at as well as the one in which I hope to graduate as soon as the diss is done. I will not relate private student information or cut and paste students emails for my, or anyone else's amusement, specifically if they contain personal and private information. I will however break this rule if the email or discussion is not personal and shows a sense of unwarrented entitlement, dangerous immuturity and lack of common sense. This would not be to rip on this student, but to showcase the woeful lack of these things in the current climate of higher education.

I think that is enough of a disclaimer. I hope that you enjoy and please comment all you like, but no stupid spam because I hate that!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home